Old Testament Survey Goals!
I officially finished my last lecture of my Spring NT Survey class (also my first class I’ve ever taught!), meaning all I have left is to give the final exam. Now my attention focuses on the fall – OT Survey! This is what I am excited about, because the majority of my study during my Master of Arts program was OT and Hebrew!
Right now I am working on coming up with the course goals, around which I will plan the course. Here are my tentative goals:
1. To learn to think critically in order to engage the texts of the Hebrew Bible.
2. To understand the socio-historical context behind the texts of the Hebrew Bible.
3. To understand the major theological themes that run through the Hebrew Bible.
4. To understand how the beliefs of different faith groups hinge on the interpretation of certain texts within the Hebrew Bible.
5. To be prepared to engage in critical study of individual books of the Hebrew Bible.
Do these sound like adequate goals for a survey course of the Old Testament? What do you think?
Also, if anyone has access to syllabi for OT Survey classes for undergraduate students, I’d really appreciate it if you would send me the link! Thanks!